Bridging Dundee’s Digital Skills Gap
The 20th of January 2016 marks an auspicious moment in the development of Dundee’s digital economy with the launch of Dundee & Angus College’s brand new Code Academy!
It’s no secret that the UK’s digital sector is growing rapidly and by 2020 the industry is expected to see a 5.4% increase in high skilled job creation. Despite this ongoing success there is however a potential spanner in the works. Whilst employment needs continue their relentless climb an ever widening skills gap presents itself as more and more companies site issues in attracting and retaining suitable talent.
“While the demand for people with software development skills is growing, the number of those entering into this area of study is at best stagnating and in some places actually dropping,”
– Simon Hewitt, Head of Creative Industries, D&A College
Should this trend continue our digital and creative industries could be set to suffer as competition for top talent drives it further from the reach of burgeoning and exciting digital start-ups.
Thankfully, forward thinking Dundee & Angus College are tackling the issue head on with the launch of their new Code Academy. Set in the fantastic new facilities at the Gardyne campus the Code Academy will engage with primary schools, secondary schools, universities and business to create a hot spot of creative experimentation and learning.
- Image Credit: Dundee & Angus College
It’s a fantastic solution. The academy being open to all ages shows a clear commitment to delivering a sustainable solution for generations to come. Furthermore, engaging universities and businesses to support the initiative will help to ensure success. The industry moves at lightning pace and having information passed back from businesses on how their needs are changing will help ensure the training offered remains relevant, fresh and competitive.
D&A College Code Academy – Launch Event
The launch event, opened by Scottish Education Minister Angela Constance and covered by STV was a huge success. A real buzz of enthusiasm permeated through the workshops put on to showcase a taster of more to come.
It’s no surprise really, who wouldn’t get excited by Lego robot wars. As if we weren’t already eager enough for the return of the hit TV show….
If a heated battle between two robots built from your favourite childhood past-time wasn’t enough there was also a showcase of some exciting and innovative games developed by some of the College’s very own HNC students.
- Photo Credit: @lookwhatjendid
The fun continues watching youngsters take an innovative approach to learning maths using probot cars!
- Photo Credit: Dundee & Angus College
The initiative has also done a fantastic job at reaching out to the local business community to offer a comprehensive resource for the budding developers of tomorrow. Acting as lead partner, the Dundee success story LogicNow were at the launch event to provide world class development tips and Terrier studios welcomed visitors to their office to show enthusiastic students where the magic happens. Yours truly, Zudu were also there acting as partners for the initiative. We delivered a workshop to inspire the next generation of web and app developers and give them guidance on working in the industry, technologies to look out for and starting their own digital venture!
Hats Off to Dundee & Angus College
Working with Dundee & Angus College on this initiative has been a superb experience. The college really understands the skills gap problem and has come up with a really compelling solution. It’s great to see them take a crucial leadership role in bringing key stakeholders together and providing a practical solution to the skills gap problem. Hats off to you D&A College! Your efforts will provide a great contribution to safeguarding the growth Dundee’s exciting digital industry and providing high-skilled, well paid jobs to the next generation.
- Android App Developers UK
- Android App Development Company In UK
- Android App Development Company UK
- Android App Development Edinburgh
- Android App Development In UK
- Android App Development UK
- App Developers Edinburgh
- App Developers Glasgow
- App Developers London
- App Developers Scotland
- App Developers UK
- App Development Companies In UK
- App Development Companies UK
- App Development Edinburgh
- App Development Glasgow
- App Development Scotland
- App Development UK
- App Requirements Questionnaire
- Best App Developers
- Best App Developers UK
- Best UK App Developers
- Digital Health Check
- Digital Marketing
- Digital Marketing in China
- Enterprise App Development UK
- Find An App Developer
- Internet of Things
- iOS App Development Companies In UK
- iOS App Development Scotland
- iPhone App Developers UK
- iPhone App Development UK
- London Mobile App Developers
- Looking For App Developer
- Mobile App Developer Edinburgh
- Mobile App Developer Glasgow
- Mobile App Developers Dundee
- Mobile App Developers Scotland
- Mobile App Developers UK
- Mobile App Development Company In UK
- Mobile App Development Company UK
- Mobile App Development Edinburgh
- Mobile App Development Glasgow
- Mobile App Development In UK
- Mobile App Development Scotland
- Mobile App Development UK
- Project Planner
- Salesforce Developers
- Success Page
- Top App Developers UK
- Top App Development Companies UK
- Top Mobile App Developers UK
- Top UK App Developers
- UK App Developers
- UK App Development Companies
- UK Mobile App Developers
- Web Application Development Glasgow
- Web Application Development London
- Web Application Development UK
- Website Design Dundee
- Website Design Edinburgh
- Website Design Glasgow
To Keep up to date with Zudu, subscribe to get news, updates and offers straight into to your inbox.